Sunday, July 12, 2015

Dragging a bit

I think this is the first Camino I've ever felt like I'm running out of gas. I've hobbled into Santiago before, with bad blisters or sharp heel pain, but I don't think I've ever felt this physically drained. It's not a bad feeling, it doesn't hurt, but it feels weird not to be able to walk at my normal pace. This has been my most challenging camino by far, not because of the terrain but because of the distances of the stages. I'm glad I did it, but equally glad that I had the time to slow down towards the end. Good thing Paco is arriving to push me the last 20 kms to Santiago. :-). 

Today's 24 kms were very nice. First three kms along a river walk, then a few more through an industrial park, just so you won't get spoiled by too much natural beauty. And then magically the Camino de Invierno was finished and I had arrived at the junction with the Camino Sanabres. I've walked this last part on at least four different Caminos that merge here but I always enjoy the Romanesque bridge in the woods 

 
And the little 12century church with a carving of Samson. 


And then the cool quiet kms into Silleda, 



about 15 kms into the walk, with good cafes for a long break. 

The last 8 or 9 were slow going but I'm still so happy and thankful to be doing this camino, even if I am starting to feel like the little engine that could!  

There is now an albergue in this town, Bandeira, but I thought it would be disloyal to the Hostal Victorino to jump ship after three earlier stays here -- see the many ways I can justify not staying in albergues?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment