Saturday, July 4, 2015

Making my way --slowly

I left the pension today around 7, knowing that I had an extremely short walk. Great timing, the 13-14 km were very flat and virtually no rocks!! Just unpaved and flat or some paved and flat. Not too much inspiring scenery, but there were some pretty river views. 



My knee was very cooperative and only squawked at me once or twice. But then, slowing down and being patient seemed to do the trick. 

I was in town by about 9:15, which felt really odd. But I got my very first proper desayuno, with a croissant, seated in a  nice covered terrace with flowers. About ten minutes into this luxurious coffee, the phone rang and it was my good friend Paco from Madrid. These unexpected contacts are so terrific, they just shoot the warmth of friendship through my veins, especially when I'm walking alone. We are trying to work out a rendezvous on the camino before Santiago, which would be great. 

I'm in the private albergue run by Asun, president of the local camino asociarían. Her 92 year old mother is still very active and loves to talk. They are wonderful people.



 Asun is working hard on the long delayed but often promised official recognition for this camino. She is guardedly optimistic that the wheels are rolling and it won't be long. It would make a huge difference in the viability of this camino and would undoubtedly be the catalyst for more albergues. We have spoken with many "locals" about the need for albergues, but it's the quintessential chicken and egg problem. People don't want to invest in an albergue when there are so few pilgrims, but more pilgrims won't come because there are so few albergues. 

My good friend Rebekah, who lives along the Camino Frances but has walked the Invierno, should be stepping off a local train around 8 pm, and we will start out for Quiroga together tomorrow morning. So lucky to have such good company coming my way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment