Saturday, July 11, 2015

Saturday stroll

I knew I was only going to walk the 22 km into Lalin, so there was no need to set an alarm or worry about time. The heat was the only concern but I was pretty sure I would have no trouble getting to my destination before it got too hot. Up at 7:25, out around 8. 

Lots of people out and about in the little hamlets on the first half of the walk. All eager to chat--about their cows, the lack of young people (a very common concern), the lack of rain, their barking dogs, etc. Nothing too earth shattering but I have found that the people on this route are very interested in the people who walk. They probably think we're a bit daft.  



The second part was very different. No towns, just a wide track of very loose and dusty dirt. Up and down a few times, sometimes through fields, sometimes pine forest, and even my favorite, scrub oak and a few other trees I can't identify. 



Lalin seems to be a lively little town. I got a special pilgrim deal in a nice little two-star hotel. 35 euros gets you a clean room and bath, main meal and breakfast. 

My knee is holding up but will be glad to be done in three days. Hard to believe I'm so close to Santiago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment