Friday, June 12, 2015

In Manresa

Terrific walk today, except for the last few kms into Manresa. I left around 6, and got up those steep kms in the cool of the morning. Then there were about 15 cool, wooded kms on a soft dirt path. Really nice. Alternating oak and pine forest with golden wheat fields, mainly descending on a very gentle grade down. 

Then about ten more to the Romanesque monastery of the day, the 12C San Benet, where I spent about an hour visiting the huge complex, all very nicely preserved/restored. 



You've probably all seen enough Romanesque by now!  

From the monastery, the camino goes along a river for about 6 km, then the final four slog on asphalt. About a km along the river,  I took off my pack and boots and sat in the shade and had a snack. 


I decided to try the albergue in Manresa, since the hotels I passed were really expensive and the pensiones looked very gritty. This isn't an albergue just for pilgrims, it's a youth hostel but I've got my own room, which is nice. 

It was a long day, longer than I had guessed it would be (my GPS says 42 km/26 miles) but I'm very glad to have a shorter day up to Montserrat tomorrow. 

And tomorrow I will meet up with Lee, and my days walking alone will be over!  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment