Thursday, June 18, 2015

Short day to Tamarite--bye bye Catalunya

Our 21km walk was similar to the last few days. Through ag fields, basically flat, lots  of fruit orchards, frequently alongside a canal. I can't report on the total kms according to the GPS because I somehow messed it up and it shows that we walked .1 mile. Now I know it was a short walk but that's ridiculous. 



We left by 6:20, had a half hour coffee break in Alfarras (the last town in Catalunya)  and then went under the aqueduct's arches to enter Aragon. 



Several more hours through the fields and past scattered farmhouses, and we were in Tamarite.  We have been told we are now on the pre-Pyrenees, but if this is the pre-Pyrenees, then Champaign is the pre-Rockies. 

It's only 1:30 and we have showered, washed clothes, walked around town, and done all our non-food shopping. I now have a new pair of sunglasses (one pair fell apart days ago) and a cotton pillowcase (the pillows are frequently questionable in the albergues). These two items cost me 5.10€ in a "chino," which is essentially a dollar store but in Spain they are all owned by Chinese people. One last purchase in the farmacia was the medicine to kill my planters wart, which I get without fail on my Camimo. I have about 8 half used bottles at home, so one more to add to the collection. 



We have three days between here and the provincial capital Huesca.  My original sketch showed us arriving in Huesca on Sunday after a 32 km walk, which would leave us with little time to see the city. We've looked at what's available between here and there and have figured out that with a killer day tomorrow (42-44????) and a normal day Saturday (28 or so), we can a short 17 km day into Huesca. So that's the tentative plan. It's a bit daunting, but as my spanish camino buddies tell me, I've got to "mentalizarme," which essentially means get myself ready mentally. It's as much about mental as physical on these long hot sunny days. Off to lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment