Friday, June 19, 2015

We walked 42! (or maybe a little more)

This was a very long day. I am so happy to be in the little town of Berbegal, even though it sits on the top of a hill and it was so hard to pull my tired body up those last few steps. 

We left at 6 am. By ten we had walked 20 km to Monzon, a bustling little city with a castle on top of the hill.


We then had a long coffee break. In these pictures you can see what goes on above and below the table. 



After our coffee break, we knew we had another 21 km. We were able to refill our water bottles in a town about 7 km further on, and then there was nothing until Berbegal, our resting place for the night. 

About 5 km outside Berbegal, there's a little Romanesque ermita, Santa Agueda. Lee decided to keep walking, but I realized that if I passed by without walking around and at least looking at the apse and the doorway, this would be the first Romanesque building I had ever, on any camino, passed without stopping. So I stopped, and then wound up taking the Roman  Road into town instead of the camino. But I made it!  

By 2:45 we were both sitting down in the shade at the municipal pools, where the guy in charge of the albergue works. He took us to the albergue with its nice bathroom and kitchen with WASHING MACHINE!!!!!  

We've had lunch and are now sitting outside across the way from the town's Romanesque church. Very nice life. 


Thanks to this long slog, we now have one average (28 Km) and then one very short (17kn) day into Huesca. 

Yesterday at this time I told myself that tomorrow at this time I would (hopefully) have this long day behind me. And I do!  And life is good. 

The view from up here. You probably can't see the snow covered Pyrenees in the background, but it's gorgeous. 



No comments:

Post a Comment