Tuesday, June 30, 2015

In Pamplona

We arrived in the city about 3:15 and by 4:15 Lee was in the albergue and I had bailed to a hotel.  It's nice enough, with a great bathroom and air conditioning, which is quite nice when the temps are over 100. 

But alas, my dreams of sleeping in till 9 will not come to pass. The 1:30 fast train tomorrow is full. Only seats available are on the slow 8:30 train. So that means that I'll have to be up a little after 7. Still, as compared to my 5 am wake-up these past few weeks, this should feel luxurious 

So who goes to Pamplona and goes to her hotel room at 7 pm to use wifi, have a glass of wine, and ice her somewhat sore knee?  ME!  I did get a little walk around the beautiful centro histórico, but I realized today that I was kind of dragging and running out of gas. My theory is that some pampering and a day off walking will help bring back that zoom zoom zoom. 



Pamplona is gearing up for San Fermines, better known in USA as the running of the Bulls, but we will be gone tomorrow and will miss all the hoopla. It's a crazy fiesta. Let's hope no one gets killed this year. 

Tomorrow we will take a train to Ponferrada, that's where the Camino de Invierno begins. The last time I walked this route I did it in 10 days, but later realized I had walked a couple of days over 40 km. I'm done with 40 km days for now, so we will be recalculating stages, so that I'll arrive in Santiago on July 13 or 14.  Fingers crossed that the temperature drops below 40. This is not conducive to walking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment