Thursday, June 11, 2015

One week walking!

I left at 7 today, a little later because the plan was to go just 22, to L'Estany, a little town with, guess what, a Romanesque monastery. The walk was nice, a good 400 or 500 m climb. Not as easy and gradual as those kms on the railroad track but much more gentle than my rocky steep slog through the woods yesterday. 

And the church and monastery were super. The best capitals I've seen yet and a very pretty church. 





So at noon when I finished visiting the monastery, I decided it was silly to stop now. After a long hour break sitting down with boots off, then off I went for what must have been about 9 km to the next town. 

While the 8 kms before the monastery was going up on nice wide forest tracks through scrub oak and pine, the 8 kms after were going down through the same terrain. Very pleasant. 


The two kms detour off the camino to get to Santa Maria d'Olot were on pavement with no traffic. Down, down, down. Which means that tomorrow starts with two kms of pavement up, up, up. 

But the old town itself sits atop its own little hill in the valley. So there are ups and downs no matter which way I go. 


So when I finish this meal (note to self:  butifarra is not chorizo, it's morcilla, but thankfully it was served on top of the garbanzos in two easily removable pieces), it will be time to climb up to the old town and hunt for castle remains. 

No comments:

Post a Comment