Sunday, June 14, 2015

In Montserrat

What a great day. I left Manresa at about 6:30 and had a good walk up and through a pine forest. At the first town, about 8 km along the way, I saw a group of about 20. We sort of intersected and then a man yelled out--Are you American?  Is your name Laurie?  Turns out this group was from association with which I had been in email contact asking a few questions about this camino. They were only doing a one day hike, up to Montserrat, and so I joined the group for the rest of the way. 


They knew where the best fountains are-- there is nothing like cold fresh water when you're really hit and sweaty. 

So the kms went quickly. The walk was amazing because at almost every turn you got a different view of these mountains. 



Before 1 we were here and I went to the albergue while they went to eat. It's s huge religious/touristic complex, the spiritual and religious center of Catalunya. 



At 4, we met again, because they invited me to go to the pilgrims blessing they had arranged with the monastery. In a little chapel, really ornate and over the top, a priest gave us the traditional pilgrims blessing (first time for me in Catalan).  After that they headed home. 



I hadn't even gotten back to the albergue when I had a phone call that Lee had arrived. She had a really grueling walk, having come up a different face of the mountain than we did. But she's here and we're starting out tomorrow,can't wait. 


2 comments: